Thursday, August 29, 2013

Still Serving After Twenty Nine Years

After serving 29 years with The Salvation Army (13 as an officer and 4 years as an Envoy in Charge of a Corps, the balance as a professional employee) I have elected to remain a soldier of the Army. It is my spiritual home.

I realize that many former officers have moved on to other denominations and that, too, is fine. I have some concerns, however, over the negativity found in the hearts of many toward the Army. Now, I understand that many may not have been treated fairly at the time of their resignation or termination. The Army, like any other organization, is made up those who are very human, even while making decisions that effect the lives of others. I have my issues also. Yet I continue to hold to the position that God has raised the Army to be a force for Him in this world. I believe that it is and I still want to be part of that.

In 2008 my wife and I resigned. Sue had several strokes which required me to remain at home with her 24/7. We had hoped for early retirement (we were only three years from our retirement date) , but that was not to be. No other alternatives were offered after we were told we did not have enough time in service to retire early. That hurt. It hurt deeply. Serving God in the Army has been our life.

Of course, we do realize that the Army has policies which must be adhered to. I would guess that I was not the best officer to 'come down the pike', but I always worked hard and gave God the glory. Incidentally, I wasn't the worst, either! In the final analysis, we have elected to remain soldiers. We hope to support others who have left the Army and we encourage a fellowship between them, whether they are still soldiers or have moved on. God bless each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment