Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Man for the People...Andrew S. Miller, Sr.



When you come across a Salvation Army leader who has a heart for the people, that leader stands out and no one 'stood out' more than Commissioner Andy Miller. He had time for anyone. He was sensitive to their needs and had an uncanny ability to 'sere through' to the truth! It would seem that nothing escaped him.

What impressed me most was that if you needed to talk with him, he always had time. He would make time! It did not matter who you were or what rank you were, he found the time. That is quite a statement to make about someone as busy as he always was.

When I was a young officer, I was going through quite a struggle. I needed to talk with someone and I did not feel I could share with the counselors in my Territory. I was in the Central Territory USA. I called Southern Territorial Headquarters and asked to speak with Commissioner Miller, the Territorial Commander. I knew that he was just the man I needed to share with. Now, Lieutenants don't often call Commissioners directly, but his secretary put me right through to him. I asked if I could drive to Atlanta and talk with him the next day. He said to me, "If you can get here tomorrow by noon, we'll go out to lunch and talk." I made the 12 hour drive arriving just in time. We had lunch and I was the better for it!

His respect for others also extended to Former Officers. He may have had issues with you (or you with him), but he always treated you with respect!

That is one of the great attributes of true leaders! They treat you with respect. We need to see more of that. We also, in my view, need to show more respect toward them. Respect is the one common denominator possessed by true leaders. I am not talking about those who simply have ascended to high position, rather I am referring to leaders in authority, who truly care about their people and will always go the extra mile to support them, even under the most difficult of circumstances. Oh, for leaders that will take time for their people! Perhaps we could turn around the high attrition rate we see in the Army!

It is rare that you cross their path. They are few and far between. Andy Miller was, however, one of them! One of the great ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment