Monday, September 2, 2013

Life After Officership

All 'Formers' can remember the excitement they first felt when first receiving word that they had been accepted as Candidates for the College (School) for Officers Training. It was a great day! God had called us to Army service and we were about to embark on a life changing journey. Reporting to our first appointment, as Corps Officers, was equally exciting and we vowed to serve God as He had equipped us to do. We worked hard and did our very best to show ourselves 'approved'.

Along the way, it became necessary for us to leave our 'red trim' behind. There are as many reasons for this as there are 'Formers'! For many, it was a traumatic experience. One of the issues I have had to deal with in the five years I have been out of officership, is the tendency to feel rejected. These feelings may be real or, perhaps, just perceived. Whatever the case, it is hard to be a member of a church family and then find yourself 'on the outside looking in'! Every 'Former' deals with this in their own way. Some are quick to change the trim on their uniform and forge ahead in service as soldiers. They quickly align themselves with a Corps and use their training and experience to benefit the Kingdom, while remaining in the ranks of the Army. Others feel God calling them to different ministries and, they too, forge ahead in the service of the King! Still others find secular employment, while identifying with a God honoring tradition. Sadly, some may leave the church altogether. Each of us handles our post officer realities in different ways!

If you are a former officer who is struggling with spiritual issues or, perhaps, with Army issues... know that God loves you, and He always has. He has not given up on you. You may be moving from His prescribed plan for your life and discovering His permissive plan, but you can be sure GOD STILL HAS A PLAN...a plan for you. It is not for me, or anyone else, to tell you what that plan is. God will do that! Let me simply encourage you in the faith, and then begin, once again, to use your training and experience for His glory and for the expansion of the Kingdom. It would be wonderful if you might still find an opportunity to reintegrate yourself in Army service. However, I recognize that that may not be possible for everyone. The important thing is that we all follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. Safeguard your salvation, and then move in the direction God leads. Yes, there is life after officership! A wonderful life, so long as you find yourself in His service. May God Bless you!

3 comments:

  1. After leaving my service in TSA I struggled to find my place in the world but always felt a void that could not seem to be filled. It took its toll on me and I surrendered to the world of sin. For years I lived doing anything and everything I wanted regardless of the negative outcome to my physical and mental well being. I had no support to turn to but always felt God was somehow still watching over me. After many years I began a long slow struggle to climb back up the mountainside and regain my walk with Christ. Though I have come to a point where I have a relationship once again with Christ I can not seem to find a place to worship that feels right for me. So the journey continues, the struggle continues to find that place of worship. Through all of this I have always felt I was to be a pastor but TSA is still in my blood but not an option as a place to worship and serve. Feeling lost, feeling lonely I struggle to find my place in God's plan for my life. My one shining light is I know God has never given up on me for I am still filled with breath, with life, with hope that my foot steps are measured by my God and each step is placed where He desires. I still struggle but I draw closer to my Lord with each step I take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to keep you in our prayers, Lloyd.

    ReplyDelete